Setting out a workbook correctly is an essential skill students need to be successful with their maths learning. Students who have good workbook skills consistently have higher accuracy scores on their tests.
Below is a lesson plan, and resources to help support it.
This lesson provides students with:
- An understanding of conventions for workbook layout
- An understanding of the need to show working out and correct mistakes appropriately one question at a time
- A way to self-evaluate or peer evaluate workbook set-out
The Introduction workbook lesson is designed to be run with students who are new to Maths Pathway. You can download this lesson plan here. This lesson also requires:
- Teacher video (included in this article below)
- Student video (included in this article below)
- Both of the sample workbook sheets to be printed in double-sided A4 colour - one copy for each pair of students, plus one copy for the teacher's reference.
- This Marking Guide sheet - one copy for each student
- This Workbook Set-Out PowerPoint
- (Optional) This poster printed in A4 colour, or A3+ colour to stick to the classroom wall
- (Optional) This Blank Marking Guide
- (Optional) glue, scissors, staplers -- enough in case students forget to bring their own
The teacher video details how this lesson should be run:
This video is the one that you will show to the students. You can either show it to them here, on YouTube, or on a PowerPoint: